"REFRIGERATOR REPORT..."








"REFRIGERATOR REPORT..."










Question of the week - weekend:




What are your HIGH HOPES?


What are your spouse's, children's, best friend's?


Do they align with what God has planned for you?







Monday, April 11, 2011

Almost a Freshman....

    I have always been told to "cherish the time you have" with your children because they grow     up too fast...I agree we all need to cherish our loved ones daily, but we also need to be willingly to allow God to produce His plan through them, without our limitations.
    Tyler brought home his Freshman orientation packet this weekend and said, "Mom, we need to create my schedule." I looked at the packet and submissively glanced over it, then as he continued to ask about the number of credits he would need, and if he could double up to take honors courses, it dawned on me...we are looking at his High School registration! Now, I know many of you have little ones, or you may have just enrolled your child into college, or are now what is phrased as an "empty nester", and all bring a flurry of emotions. I told him I would look over it and we would create several versions of what his schedule may look like - that was the teacher talking, then the mom in me wondered, what WILL the next 4 years look like? Not only on a paper schedule, but in his life, and our family.
    There are so many things we want to do, so many things we want to teach one another, so many things we want to stay the same. Then, through a sermon this past weekend, God nudged me and said, "there are alot of "I's and We's" in your sentences, what about "ME?" He reminded me that HE has a plan for our family, and specificially for Tyler. I do not want to hold on to tight, I want him to soar and succeed, and I know that only through the Lordship of Christ can that be fulfilled. The verse of course came to mind; "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is older he will not depart"  Proverbs 22:6.     Now, I was gently reminded that this verse does not mean our children will stay "next door" to us for the rest of their lives, but ultimately if we place them in God's care, as we are commanded, He will ensure their future - one to prosper and to grow (Jeremiah 29:11). Tyler is firmly grounded in God's word, I know that for sure, therefore these next 4 years are not to be dreaded or pondered, but to be celebrated and embraced. Excitement will flow through the tears as we see what path the Lord will plant our only child's feet on, just as He planted Jesus' feet on a path to save us.
    So, take a few moments and look around your home. Are you hanging the "just home from the hospital picture, the graduation photo in the coveted cap and gown, or have you been staring at the wedding portrait way too long, wishing that your child was back in "your" home?" Whichever the step in life, know that God has a plan for your child and for you, seek His will and be an example to your child of continual Growth, Godliness, and Grace.  
    For we all are "Almost Freshman" as we encounter a new chapter in our lives daily- allow God to be the author of not only your "next 4 years", but of your eternity. 
                       I promise, it will be EXTRAORDINARY!

Orchestra Concert 2009-2010


1 comment: